Saturday, February 14, 2009

My Valentine

I have a love hate relationship with Valentine's Day. I'm not sure I understand why we need a special day set aside to show the people we care about how much they mean to us. If you don't do this all the time then you are sorely missing out.

If you are single Valentine's Day usually sucks. You have to listen to everyone around you drone on about how wonderful their SO is and what romantic plans they have and what they bought for the other person and there you are twiddling your thumbs wishing they would drop dead. A single Valentine's Day is worse then spending New Years alone. I think its because of all the hype to be in a relationship.

Corporate America has taught us that something personal, a beautiful letter, poem or note is not enough. The "true" measure of our love is in how much we spend. I just don't see it that way. I am much more impressed with a good card, or hand written note than I am some elaborate gift.

I don't need a special day to feel important to Master. He shows me that he cares all the time in the little things he does. Those are the important moments not the ones we feel brow beaten into because it is expected. If I didn't feel appreciated before Valentine's Day an expensive gift is only going to make me feel worse. Crazy huh? But its true. If I'm only worthy of appreciation one day a year when the calendar says you're supposed to tell me how much I matter to you then please don't bother. I'll take the little every day things over big elaborate hub bub any day.

The perfect Valentine's Day present? To fall asleep in Master's arms after he has roughly manhandled and ravaged me leaving me quivering, and crying blissful tears from the emotional overload. Of course some chocolate wouldn't hurt either.

2 comments:

Cookie Crawford said...

Happy Valetines Day

Alyssa said...

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. Curling up to my Master on the couch while he runs his fingers through my hair is the best Valentine's gift ever.
Happy Valentine's Day!